Baltimore Boy Awarded $2 Million in Lead Paint Case

Owner/Landlord and Property Manager is found liable and loses millions in a jury award due to their apparent lack of understanding. — WBALTV11 News 

BALTIMORE —A 17-year-old Baltimore boy who suffered permanent brain damage due to lead paint exposure where he lived when he was younger has been awarded $2 million in a civil case.

You must DO and you must DOCUMENT that you did what a prudent person would do.  That is regardless of what the minimum legal  standard is for the municipality where your property is located.

 Being compliant with the law is not enough to save the health of a child or your assets.

According to the WBALTV 11 News Broadcast:

Records, photos and testimony also showed that the home had gone through extensive renovations since the time the boy and his family moved out.

“Studies have consistently shown that exposure to lead paint, especially in children under the age of 6, can result in a lifetime of medical expenses and financial instability,” Powell (the family’s attorney) said. “Although no monetary settlement can replace what has been taken from this child, we do feel vindicated when the responsible landlords are brought to justice in court.”

Ruth Ann Norton, with the Green and Healthy Homes Initiative, said this case shows the courts are paying attention to lower levels of lead in children, and the courts are also holding the property owners responsible.


Let’s talk about how we can help you keep your tenants safe and your assets in your possession.

Fields marked with an * are required

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *